Please note the assignment schedule:
Friday, April 10 - French Revolution inspired "tea party" (in class)! Please come to class in clothing inspired by your favorite individual, group, or fashion of the time period. In addition, please bring a representation of a cultural artifact that was produced during the time period (music, literature, artwork, etc.). Be prepared to explain the significance of your wardrobe and cultural artifact!
Monday, April 13 - Reading and Cornell notes on 7.1 "A New Kind of Revolution" due at the beginning of class.
Wednesday, April 15 (In-class) - Please read through "The Industrial Revolution" and answer the following questions:
1. Who was James Watt?
2. How did steam engines fuel the Industrial Revolution (both figuratively and literally speaking!)?
3. What are possible reasons as to why the Industrial Revolution began in Great Britain and not China?
4. Explain how and where the Industrial Revolution spread.
5. What negative and positive consequences are associated with the Industrial Revolution.
6. Please read "China's new industrial revolution." You may also search for and consult other scholarly sources. Compare and contrast levels of industrialization in China today to those experienced in Great Britain in the 18th century.
Friday, April 17 - Reading and Cornell notes on 7.2 "Factories and Workers" and 7.3 "New Ideas in a New Society" due at the beginning of class.
Friday, April 24 - Questions on Upton Sinclair's The Jungle (1906) and Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation (2002) due at the beginning of class.
Thursday, April 30 - DBQ on The Industrial Revolution due at the end of class. You will have time to write the DBQ essay in class on Wednesday and Thursday,