Today, you'll study one of three neurological diseases: Alzheimer's, schizophrenia or Tourette's syndrome.
1. Start at the Explore the Brain and Spinal Cord site to learn more about the brain and nervous system and to read about the specifics of your chosen disease.
2. Next, please tap into additional resources found on EBSCO (Please use the user name discovery, and the password honduras)
3. Answer these questions as you search:
- What are the symptoms of this disease?
- Which areas of the brain do scientists think are most affected by this disease and how do these areas relate to the symptoms? (For example, the hippocampus is an area of the brain that is involved in the formation of memory. This area is usually affected in patients with Alzheimer's disease, which explains why the inability to convert short-term memory to long-term memory is a symptom of that disease.)
- What are some of the possible causes or theories regarding the development of this disease (e.g., genetic, chemical excess, neurotransmitter malfunction)?
- What are the latest developments in medical research to date on this disease?
- Have there been any recent breakthroughs? What are some of the treatments available as well as potential future treatments?
4. Write a 300-word essay on the information you found by answering the questions listed above. Introduce the disease you're working on, explain what happens to people who have it (both what breaks down inside them and how they behave on the outside) and what might cure it. Remember to cite your resources! Hint: use Easy Bib! Please share your essay with me through Engrade