As we begin this semester, please remember to check Engrade regularly as all grades will be posted weekly.
I look forward to a successful semester with you!
Please note this week's assignment schedule:
Monday 1/12 - "World of 7 Billion" Action I due at the beginning of class. Notes on Key Issue #2 should also be complete before class begins.
Read Palestinians Seen Gaining Momentum in Quest for Statehood and answer the following questions:
1. What happened when Palestine sought statehood at the UN in 2011? Why?
2. How many countries recognize Palestine as a state?
3. How has Palestine gained political momentum towards achieving statehood? Explain.
4. How has Israel reacted to Palestine's quest for statehood? What actions has Israel taken in response?
5. Does Palestine meet the criteria for statehood? Explain.
Read The Islamic State is Failing at Being a State and answer the following questions:
1. According to the article, how is ISIS failing as a state? Discuss specific examples.
2. According to the article, how is life in Syria depicted by ISIS leaders? What is the reality?
3. According to the article, what type of punishments are associated with the ISIS regime? How do these punishments impact the state's effectiveness?
4. According to some, what positive changes has the ISIS regime brought to Syria? Explain.
5. Do you find this article to be biased? Explain.
Wednesday 1/14 - Notes on Key Issue #3 should be complete before class begins.
Friday 1/16 - Notes on Key Issue #4 should be complete before class begins. You should also be completely finished reading the chapter on "Political Geography" in your textbook.